Your Mission Point Planning Team | Tony
“Making a difference and being a positive force in peoples lives in the only thing that matters, to me, our team and this firm. When it comes to financial matters, opinions often masquerade as facts. That’s a dangerous thing. Our biggest value is helping clients cut out the noise, clarify what it is truly important in their lives, and create a plan that works for them.”
Although Tony founded Mission Point Planning in 2013, he has been in firm leadership roles since he first started in the field in 2003. During his time as a Vice-President at AXA Advisors and as a Director at Blue Water Financial Group, Tony simultaneously advised and served clients while coaching, mentoring and leading newcomers to the business. “The experience teaching others the craft of financial planning was invaluable. I was working 65-70 hours a week but loving every minute of it. I firmly believe that you never truly master a craft until you can successfully teach it.”
During that span he was exposed to some of the inner workings of the financial business, and didn’t like what he saw. “I knew a lot of well intentioned, talented advisors that were working for companies that put the profits of the company and the sales of ‘proprietary product’ above the needs of the clients. It’s a dirty little secret but it still is there, even today.”
Vowing to create a firm that always put the clients first, Mission Point was launched 2013. The firm’s first and most important decision was to choose Securities America as it’s broker-dealer and partner. “We actually chose Securities America before we even had a name!” Tony recalled. “Securities America shares our midwestern values and as the 7th largest independent broker-dealer brings amazing resources and solutions to those we serve. Plus, we didn’t have to worry about pressure from management to ‘sell’ anything. We can focus on our clients and the advice that works for them, not another entity or person.”
Get to know Tony:
Tony received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Marketing from Michigan State University and has Series 7, 66 and 24 licenses. Additionally, he currently holds the BFA designation. He has been recognized multiple times by Hour Detroit as one of Metro Detroit’s 5 Star Wealth Managers, most recently in 2014, 2017 and 2018.
Tony’s pride and joy however is his growing family. He currently calls Berkley his home where he jokes he’s surrounded by women to keep him grounded. He is very happily married to his wife Alana and has two young daughters, Ava and Amelia along with the family dog Molly and cat Lola. As former residents of downtown Detroit, they often return as a family for shopping at Eastern Market, eating in Corktown or just walking and running along the riverfront. “Remaining close to the city and its revival was important for our family.”
For outside fun, he loves trying new hobbies that lately include learning to sail, traveling to national parks and camping. However, what he likes best is reading. “I have a book goal each year, I cheat a little bit by using Audible, but it’s such a great way to unwind after the chaos of each day.”
A few of my favorite things:
- Food: Ribeye, medium rare
- TV shows: Band of Brothers, The Office, Westworld, The X-Files
- Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Great Gatsby
- Aspect of the job: Being able to see tangible benefits in our client’s lives from the planning we’ve done together. It’s nice to go home each day and know I’ve made some positive impact.
- Best piece of financial advice: Money is only a tool. It will take you where you wish but won’t replace the driver.
- If I could meet anybody: Winston Churchill, John F. Kennedy, Major Richard Winters
- Place I most want to visit: Jerusalem
- On my bucket list: Learning a new language, walking my girls down the aisle, becoming an excellent cook and climbing a peak over 20,000 feet
- Secret of success: It’s the little things, done on a daily basis that count the most in success. True accomplishment only comes after embracing the daily grind – choosing the important over the easy, priorities over feelings and people over things.